Friday, February 15, 2008

Reunion

Last week, the Rudenstines graciously hosted a reunion at their home and it was a wonderful opportunity for us to take time out of our hectic lives and reconvene and simply enjoy each other's company. While I had seen my classmates at school, we chatted mostly in passing. Thus, as we had shared many different moments together in Africa, so last Thursday, when we came together again to share a meal and a quiet evening, we shared what the trip meant to each of us in its aftermath. We reflected on transitioning back to life here in New York City and how to come to terms with the intensity of our experience. Apparently, we were all going through a similar process of readjusting: a sense of ennui and difficulty in transcribing our thoughts into words.

Our experience was such an intense one that every time I try to write it down, it takes much of my strength and energy (hence the dearth of entries!). Even just recounting the daily events of our trip has been difficult because each meeting, encounter, and experience I had there was, to put it plain and simple, incredibly powerful and moving. As I write this now, I am reminded of how amazing the trip was and how much it has transformed my perspective. It has guided me in developing my own understanding of what I truly value and who I will advocate for. I wish I could explicate in concrete terms what this trip has meant for me, but I honestly believe that the reality of its transformative power remains to be seen in the days that lay ahead of us. For some, maybe it has opened up a new career path, one in international human rights. For others, it was a window into Africa. Who knows? I can, however, say one thing for sure: this trip has definitely given me the courage to become a better advocate. And I believe that I am only one of many that have been empowered.

As promised, some Itinerary Highlights. (Thank you Amy!)

Justice and Reconciliation in Post-Conflict Rwanda
Professor Sheri Rosenberg
December 31 –January 14, 2008

Meetings
• Richard Kaminski, Political Counselor, US Embassy, Kigali
• Zarir Merat, Head of Mission, Avocats San Frontiere
• Andrews Kanaga, Legal Officer and Denis Bikesha, Director of Training, Mobilisation and
Sensitisation, National Gacaca Service
• Assumpta Umurungi, Executive Secretary, AVEGA (Association of Genocide Widows)
• IBUKA (Association of Genocide Survivors)
• Cheryl Sims, Deputy Chief of Mission, US Embassy Kigali
• Ambassador Joseph Mutaboba, Secretary General, Ministry of Internal Security
• Alex Mugabo, National Unity and Reconciliation Commission
• Denis Bikesha, Director of Training, Mobilisation and Sensitisation, National Service of Gacaca

Courts
• Tharcisse Karugarama, Minister of Justice
• Hassan Jallow, Chief Prosecutor, International Criminal Tribunal Rwanda (ICTR)
• Bongani Majola, Deputy Prosecutor of ICTR
• Defense Attorney François Cantier, ICTR
• Don Webster, ICTR Prosecutor
• Judge Dennis Byron, President of the ICTR

Site Visits
• Kigali Genocide Memorial
• Gacaca hearing
• National University of Law, Butare, Rwanda
• Lake Muhazi, day trip with Rwandan children orphaned during the genocide
• Kigali Central Prison
• International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda

Entry by: Kathy Hwang

No comments: